Accessibility View Close toolbar

Seasonal Pet Information

Holiday Hazards

Calumet Emergency Veterinary Clinic is here to remind you that the holidays bring on great moments, great guests and of course great food, but keep in mind some of those tasty dishes and desserts should not be shared with your four-legged friends. Here is a list of things you should keep away from your pets. Keeping your pets away from these items may just save you and your pet from a trip to the emergency room:

  • Table scraps. Table scraps are not pet snacks. Many holiday foods, including gravy and meat trimmings, are loaded with fat and sodium, and can cause stomach upset or worse.
  • Bones, depending on the size, can not only cause stomach upset, but can shard and cause damage as it moves through the digestive tract, or may even get stuck and cause a blockage.
  • Chocolate toxicity is a common occurrence during any time of year. Different types of chocolate have different toxicity levels (dark chocolate is worse than milk chocolate). What is a treat for us will only cause troubles for your pet such as vomiting, diarrhea, panting, restlessness, racing heart, muscle spasms, and possible seizures.
  • Sugar-free baked goods, gum, and candies made with xylitol can cause your pet’s blood sugar to drop, lethargy, seizures, and possible liver issues.
  • Raisins, grapes, macadamia nuts, avocados, and alcoholic beverages are also harmful to your pets.
  • Trash cans and compost bins. Keep trash barrels and compost bins secure. Dumpster diving dogs often suffer from pancreatitis and other discomfort when dining on leftovers.

The holidays are also a time for beautiful décor and new house plants. Listed below are some common holiday home additions that should be kept away from your pets:

  • Poinsettias, holly, mistletoe, and pine needles are harmful for pets. Mistletoe and poinsettia are poisonous, and ingested pine needles can cause digestive tract blockage.
  • Electrical cords, light strands, and batteries. Light cords, when chewed or frayed, can cause severe burns or electrocution.
  • Candles, wax warmers, and liquid potpourri.
  • Ornaments and ornament hooks.
  • Tinsel, ribbons, and fake grass. Ribbons and tinsel can also lead to trips to the emergency room, often resulting in complicated surgery or even death.
  • Balloons, confetti, and fireworks.

Are you traveling with your pet during the holidays? Take precautions when traveling with your pet, no matter how you choose to travel. Consult with your veterinarian several days before departing so you can properly prepare for your trip and arrange for any necessary health certificates.

Provide solitude for your pet. Guests may cramp your pet’s style. Keep your pet’s favorite place free from holiday hubbub so your pet can relax and get away if he or she is feeling stressed.

We hope these tips keep your pet healthy this holiday season. From our family to yours--Happy Holidays from all of us at Calumet Emergency Veterinary Clinic!

Locate Us

Find us on a map

Office Hours

Monday:

Open 24 Hours

Tuesday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Wednesday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Thursday:

6:00 pm-8:00 am

Friday:

6:00 pm - 8:00 am Tuesday

Saturday:

Open 24 Hours

Sunday:

Open 24 Hours

No testimonials settings found. Please configure it